What We Eat – Part 2
Students will sort fruits and vegetables (by examining plants grown in the school garden, purchased in the market, or featured in models or pictures) into the parts of the plant eaten as food, identify a serving size, and locate where on MyPlate the food belongs. Understanding the food storage function of a specific plant part will aid in understanding the nutrition provided by that plant part.
- Identify the parts of the plant.
- Sort fruits and vegetables by plant part.
- Place sorted fruits and vegetables on MyPlate.
- Describe and provide a general explanation of the nutrients provided by fruits and vegetables.
- Activity One: 45 minutes, plus time for student work
- Activity Two: 45 minutes
- Activity Three: 30 -40 minutes
- Activity Four: 30 minutes
- Extensions: 45 minutes each activity