School Garden Leadership Training Series
Florida Agriculture in the Classroom and UF/IFAS Extension Family Nutrition Program are excited to continue hosting a series of virtual School Garden Leadership Trainings for the 2021/2022 school year. This training and networking experience is designed for Florida school garden leaders of all levels to build gardening confidence, foster collaboration among leaders, and strengthen garden programs for long-term success.
Did you attend sessions with us last year? Continue to grow with us as we explore new content and expand on foundational concepts for school garden sustainability.
Sessions will take place online via Zoom on Thursdays from 3:30-5:00 pm EST. The interactive session content will encompass the first hour, with the last (optional) 30 minutes dedicated to networking and answering attendees’ questions.
Check out series resources in our shared
Google Drive folder
Sept 2 | GARDEN GATHERING
- Foundations for a Sustainable School Garden Program; Site Selection and Design; Growing your Garden Team; Goal Setting
Oct 7 | PLANTING PALOOZA
- Fall Crop Selection; Tips and Tricks for Planting with Students; Grants and Money Management
Nov 4 | CULINARY CONNECTIONS
- Integrating the Garden into School Culture through Seasonal Celebrations; Harvesting Techniques; Nutritious Kid-Friendly Recipes
Dec 2 | MAINTENANCE MEET-UP
- Pest and Disease Management; Seasonal Garden Upkeep; Cultivating Community Partnerships
Jan 27 | SEED SAVING SOCIAL
- Spring Crop Selection; Seed Saving; Volunteer Recruitment; Parent Engagement
Feb 24 | PERENNIAL AND POLLINATOR PARTY
- Fruit Trees; Edible Perennials; Pollinator Gardens
Mar 31 | COMPOSTING COLLOQUIUM
- School Composting Best Practices; Soil Lesson Activities; Outdoor Classroom Management
May 12| CLOSING CONVERSATION
- Preparing your Garden for Summer; Lessons Learned; How to Tell your Story for Future Success
Can’t attend the full series? All sessions will be recorded for future viewing on our YouTube channel. Professional Development and CEU Credit are available after each session. Educators located outside of Florida are welcome to attend.