School Garden Leadership Training Series
Since 2020, Florida Agriculture in the Classroom and UF/IFAS Extension Family Nutrition Program have partnered to host a series of School Garden Leadership Trainings. This training and networking experience is designed for Florida school garden stakeholders of all levels to build gardening confidence, foster collaboration among stakeholders, and strengthen garden programs for long-term success.
Our workshops focus on 3 spheres of school garden sustainability – gardening knowledge, curricula connections, and leadership skills.
Registration now open for 2022-2023!
Join us live for 2 virtual webinars and in-person workshops around the state!
Workshops will offer promising practices and sustainable strategies for managing your school garden program this season. Together we will learn how to hold a successful school garden tasting event or harvest celebration with students during the school year.
In-person workshops will include hands-on gardening skills, modeling of school garden curricula, and interactive components to help grow your leadership skills. Participants will leave with a variety of educational resources for your garden and school classroom, including FAITC curricula books and the UF/IFAS Extension Grow To Learn Guide. Workshops are intended to strengthen local community and will include time for networking as well as enjoying food tastings together.
- Miami | Sat. Dec 10, 2022 |
- Cape Coral | Sat. Dec 10, 2022 |
- Gainesville | Sat, Jan 28, 2023 |
We encourage educators from surrounding school districts to attend workshops.
Length will vary from half-day to full-day workshops. See individual registration for details. CEU’s are available. All workshops are free and open to educators, volunteers, and school garden support organizations from surrounding regions.
Please view webinar recordings using the links below.
Tues, Oct 18, 2022 | 3:30 – 5:00pm EST | Webinar #1
- Foundations for a Sustainable School Garden Program; Growing your Garden Team with Student Engagement; Goal Setting; Kid Approved Garden Crops; Planning a Harvest Party or Classroom Tasting Event
Thurs, Dec 1, 2022 | 3:30 – 5:00pm EST | Webinar #2
- Fall Harvest Tips; Food Safety; Cooking and Eating from the Garden with Students; Nutrition Education Lessons; Integrating the Garden into School Culture; Group Harvest: Event Planning Ideas + Group Sharing
Can’t attend both webinars? All sessions will be recorded for future viewing on our YouTube Channel. Professional Development and CEU Credits are available after each session. Educators located outside of Florida are welcome to attend.
Want to learn more about school gardens? View past webinar recordings from the 2021-2022 school year by topic using the hyperlinks below.
Check out series resources, curricula, and worksheets in our shared Google Drive folder
Sept 2, 2021 | GARDEN GATHERING
- Foundations for a Sustainable School Garden Program; Site Selection and Design; Growing your Garden Team; Goal Setting
Oct 7, 2021 | PLANTING PALOOZA
- Fall Crop Selection; Tips and Tricks for Planting with Students; Grants and Money Management
Nov 4, 2021 | CULINARY CONNECTIONS
- Integrating the Garden into School Culture through Seasonal Celebrations; Harvesting Techniques; Nutritious Kid-Friendly Recipes
Dec 2, 2021 | MAINTENANCE MEET-UP
- Pest and Disease Management; Seasonal Garden Upkeep; Cultivating Community Partnerships
Jan 27, 2022 | SEED SAVING SOCIAL
- Spring Crop Selection; Seed Saving; Volunteer Recruitment; Parent Engagement
Feb 24, 2022 | PERENNIAL AND POLLINATOR PARTY
- Fruit Trees; Edible Perennials; Pollinator Gardens
Mar 31, 2022 | COMPOSTING COLLOQUIUM
- School Composting Best Practices; Soil Lesson Activities; Outdoor Classroom Management
May 12, 2022| CLOSING CONVERSATIONS
- Preparing your Garden for Summer; Lessons Learned; How to Tell your Story for Future Success