Students will understand what a plant needs to grow by germinating seeds using a seed necklace.
Preparation Before the Lesson: (10 minutes)
- Place water beads in water for them to soak up the water.
- Cut yarn to fit as a necklace.
- Punch a hole in the Ziplock Bags.
Activity: (20 minutes)
- Punch a hole in the top of a Ziplock bag.
- Place 4 beads in the bag, one of each color: red represents nutrients, yellow represents sunlight, blue represents water, and white represents air.
- Place 3 radish seeds in the bag. Seal the bag.
- Lace the yarn or string through the hole of the Ziplock bag and tie. Wear as a necklace.
- Seeds should germinate in 24-48 hours.
Radishes – Gardening Solutions – UF/IFAS
Garden Activities for Kids: Seed Necklaces – YouTube