It’s on the Label
Learning to read and utilize food labels and information from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, students will compare nutritional value and caloric content of canned, frozen, and fresh fruits and vegetables, compare portions to serving sizes by actually measuring both and scale label information in direct proportion to recommended caloric intake.
- Read nutritional value and caloric content from food labels.
- Compare and contrast portions to serving sizes by actual measuring.
- Convert standardized food label information in direct proportion to recommended caloric intake for individuals.
- Analyze and compare nutritional values and caloric content of five types of canned, frozen and/or fresh fruits or vegetables.
- Use all the capabilities developed to create an economical, year-round plan to increase fruit and vegetableconsumption in the diet.
Activity One: 1 hour, plus time for research
Activity Two: 45 minutes, plus time for research
Activity Three: 30 minutes