This lesson will bring the broader focus of invasive species to students. By examining the media attention that invasive species are receiving across the country the serious nature of the issue will become clear and alert students to issues beyond their locale that may affect them directly or indirectly.
Objectives: By the end of this unit the students will be able to:
- Identify trade routes through the ages, in general;
- Map those routes and identify travel time for trade;
- Identify how invasive species traveled with trade;
- Explain how speedy trade influences invasion of non-native species;
- Detail how diseases become invasive and why this leads to epidemics or pandemics;
- Describe why species become invasive and explain why this is a concern; and
- Discuss whether all invasive species have negative consequences and identify at least one invasive species that is beneficial to humans.