Students will explore the long history of chocolate from the New World to the old and back again. This exploration will involve Mayans, Aztecs, Spanish, Dutch, French, English and American cultures. It will explore ancient methods of production and processing and modern technological processes.
Objectives: Students will be able to:
- Identify the first people to use cacao beans for chocolate.
- Describe the development of chocolate throughout history.
- Identify significant inventions and people who aided the development of chocolate.
- Use the Internet to obtain information about chocolate production.
Two, 45 minute class periods, plus time for Internet research
- Chocolate History Lesson
- Chocolate History Standards
- Chocolate History
- Chocolate on the Web
- Bite of Chocolate History